Peter Bowey of pbcomp.com.au, has this advice for us all…
” Follow these wise Internet security practices:
- Don’t click on links within pop-up windows – Because pop-up windows are often a product of spyware, clicking on the window may install spyware software on your computer. To close the pop-up window, click on the “X” icon in the titlebar instead of a “close” link within the window.
- Be wary of unexpected dialog boxes asking whether you want to run a particular program or perform another type of task. Always select “no” or “cancel,” or close the dialog box by clicking the “X” icon in the titlebar.
- Take care with downloadable software – There are many sites that offer customized toolbars or other features that appeal to users. Don’t download programs from sites you don’t trust, and realize that you may be exposing your computer to spyware by downloading some of these programs.
- Don’t follow email links claiming to offer anti-spyware software – Like email viruses, the links may serve the opposite purpose and actually install the spyware it claims to be eliminating.
- Don’t take the offer of may websites to offer you free music. EG; “KaZaA” You will get free music, PLUS some Virus’s, and Spyware from other users! This is a very high ATTACK THREAT risk choice for the sake of copyright ‘free’ music!
>> Read the whole post on Peter Bowey Computer Solutions